Sunday 6 May 2012

Handmade with love

Those who know me well will know I'm happiest when I'm making something. Whether it's cooking, sewing, embroidery, or as of a few weeks ago, crochet (more on that in another post...), I just love making things.

Trouble is, if I kept everything I make for myself, I'd have no room in my flat (ahem!). But I have discovered that even if you spend only a few pounds on materials, people are genuinely really chuffed to receive something homemade.

I thought I'd share with you some of the things I've made as gifts over the last couple of years. Most were made for presents for Christmas 2011, and the first few are all from the GORGEOUS Cath Kidston book, "Sew". (HIGHLY recommended either as a gift for a crafty person, or for yourself if you fancy a go at sewing).

This is a handbag I made using the pattern for the bag which comes as a free kit with the bag, combined with the closure from the alternative design. I made two of these in different patterned fabric as presents for my two best friends. (Both were very pleased with them!)


This next one is the jewellery roll from the book. I made this for my Mum, as she and Dad go away a lot on their motorbikes so I figured she might need something to keep her bits and bobs safe and secure. It was quite fiddly and time consuming to make, but I was very happy with the finished result.


My Gran used to do a lot of knitting, so the obvious choice for her was a knitting needle case. I also made one last Christmas for my boyfriends Gran, and was really chuffed when she showed me the case in use, stuffed full of all her knitting needles and crochet hooks. She was quite surprised they all fit! This one is the one I made for my Gran.



I really do love making gifts, whether they are sewn or cooked, baked, preserved etc. and there will no doubt be more later in the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment